Let’s kick off 2014 with a blast!!!
Simply put, burpees are the workout from hell! Yet, they are so effective at working every part of your body – shoulders, triceps, chest, core, quads, explosiveness, strength, cardio – just an awesome, all around workout.
Here’s the challenge: The goal is to start at one burpee and add a burpee each day. Simple enough… are you up to the challenge?
Here are the rules:
1. Use correct form when completing the burpee (no sloppy burpees, see examples below)
3. If for some reason you miss a day, you have to make up all the missed burpees the following day
4. If you don’t start the challenge with us today, you can “buy-in” at any time by doing ALL the missed day’s burpees on your first day (again, this day #3, so still early enough for you to jump in)
5. Any burpees you complete during your regular workout can count towards that day’s Challenge burpees, if you want them to
5. Have fun doing burpees and getting stronger doing it!
Now, before you decide to tackle this challenge, be sure you are correctly performing your burpees.
Common burpee mistakes:
- Knees caving during the squatting phase
- Rounding the lower back
- Lack of body control
You have to correct these mistakes in your form to avoid any unnecessary injury during this high-intensity exercise.
How to perform a burpee correctly
1. Use a wide stance – set your feet about shoulder-width apart, and you will be able to get your hips more involved rather than your lower back.
2. Use an exercise platform or box – an elevated platform will reduce the range of motion, and allow you to master the form. Once you feel like your form has been corrected, you can start performing burpees directly on the ground.
3. Slowwww dowwwn – It isn’t a race! You will benefit much more if you perform burpees slow and controlled. Consider pausing for a second in both the squat and push-up position.
Have fun and let me know how your challenge is going! Happy New Year and Happy Burpees!